My dear elegant readers! Today I’m going to reveal my skincare secrets. Beautiful skin is a top priority when it comes to the elegant look. The makeup is just a quick fix. How to achieve perfect skin? And how to maintain it?
I’m 40 years old. Yes, yes! I don’t use Botox, lip fillers or mesotherapy injections. I didn’t do face plastic surgery such as blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) or rhytidectomy (face and neck lift surgery). It may sound odd, but I don’t use face creams or body lotions either. What am I using then?
- Once a day (evening) yellow or white raw shea butter for deep moisturizing;
- Once a week black mud mask for deep cleaning and face lifting (plus face scrub to remove impurities);
- Once a week white mud mask for radiant skin color and face lifting (plus face scrub);
- Sometimes natural avocado mask;
- Once in a blue moon, natural strawberry or oatmeal mask.
What I don’t use for my face?
- No primers or liquid foundations. Only concealer and powder foundation in places where needed. I noticed that my skin color improved when I stopped using liquid foundation;
- No countering powder. I dislike the ‘brown cheeks’ effect. Also, I noticed that women who use dark countering powder every day, develop dark spots on their cheeks;
- No face creams or body lotions. Only natural oils. If you check the ingredients of most creams and lotions, one of the main ingredients is going to be mineral oil which is the cheapest synthetic oil produced from petroleum. Mineral oil makes your skin look older and may clog the pores. Alcohol is a very common ingredient in face creams and lotions. Unfortunately, alcohol makes the skin look older as well.
Don’t get me wrong. I do use makeup removers, cleansers, and scrubs with mineral oil and alcohol. But I wash it away, so the skin doesn’t absorb it that much. I always try to buy cosmetic products with fewer chemicals and more natural oils. I wish the makeup products had fewer chemicals as well!
Once a day (evening) I use 4 steps to remove the makeup:
- gently wipe away the lipstick and eye makeup with Pond’s cleansing cream placed on cotton balls;
- wash the face with creamy cleanser (or gel cleanser);
- if there’s still some makeup left, I take a little bit of body lotion, close my eyes, gently massage the lotion around eyes and wash it away;
- and if there’s still some makeup left, I gently remove it with cotton swabs.
Then I gently tab my face with a towel. I don’t rub my skin or stretch it too much.
I’ve been using shea butter for more than 10 years! It’s the fattest natural butter ever but it doesn’t clog my pores. Of course, if the shea butter was collected in unsanitary conditions, it may contain some dirt that would provoke acne. That’s why you need to buy it from a reputable seller.
As I put raw shea butter in the evening and my skin is deeply moisturized over the night, I don’t have to put any moisturizer in the morning. I don’t wash my face in the morning either in order to save that protective shea butter layer which has natural sunscreen.
Shea butter is tricky to apply because it would make your hair and clothes greasy. For that reason, put your hair in a ponytail and avoid any contact with clothes. Also, raw shea butter has a strong nut smell which is gone after 20 minutes of wearing. If you dislike the smell, start with refined shea butter.
For my body, I use all kinds of natural brushes: natural sea sponge for everyday use, loofah sponge once a week and tawashi brush for my feet.
Good skin can be maintained only by a healthy lifestyle. Things that I do for my body and my health:
- healthy diet (no greasy or fried food, sugar only from fruits, no more than 2-3 cups of coffee a day);
- intermittent fasting (only one full meal a day, my eating window is from 10 am until 3 pm);
- full night sleep (8-10 hours);
- silk pillowcase to minimize the face wrinkles;
- no beach before 4 pm;
- drink a lot of water;
- hiking or swimming twice a week.
From California with Love,
For this look, I used teal eyeshadow from Chanel Les 9 Ombres Eyeshadow Palette Edition #1 – Affresco, YSL Vinyl Couture Mascara #3, Chanel Rouge Allure Fusion 818 True Red and white mud, of course!